17th Century Elegance. 21st Century Fun.
The Devon Manor House is a stunning Grade 1 listed mansion set in its own glorious 160 acres, comfortably accommodating up to 16, as a self-catering holiday home, located in rural North Devon, close to some of the best surfing beaches in the UK, and the wild expanse of Exmoor, an oasis for walkers and cyclists. This grand old country house is one of the finest in Devon.
The beautiful interiors of the house offer masses of space, and outside there are 160 acres of fenced parkland and some of the finest gardens in North Devon, which are arranged close to a private swimming pool and fully equipped pool house as well as a hard tennis court.
The Devon Manor House offers a wide array of substantial rooms, each for a different purpose, each with its own character, each from a different age. All gloriously furnished and decorated but crucially mixing the period features with contemporary mod cons. Imagine the grandeur and privilege of a bygone age, but with the personal touches that make you feel completely at home.
Relax in one of the three living rooms, feast in the grand dining room and cook in one of two kitchens. As night falls climb the beautiful staircase and enjoy a wonderful night's sleep in one of eight bedrooms, which are situated over two floors.
The Manor House is conveniently located in reach of many of the varied attractions and facilities of North Devon. Within 20 minutes by car you will find a multitude of beaches, ideal for surfing or body-boarding. Alternatively, around five minutes by car the other way, you have the wilds of Exmoor National Park with some of the highest cliffs in the UK (think Poldark without all the people who now flock to Cornwall!) The area has also become a magnet for cycling, offering a choice of terrain for mountain biking, or wonderful routes for road cyclists.
The origins of the estate can be traced to Henry I’s reign when it was owned by Roceline de Beaumont who was married to the Kings’ daughter Constance. Within, these walls tell the story of some of the past inhabitants of the house, and some of the major historical events in which they were involved.
In 1490 the Chichester family became the owners when John Chichester married the heiress Margaret Beaumont. The estate stayed in the same family until it was sold off in the 1920’s.
The Manor House has evolved over the centuries. In the 1400’s the main sitting room was a medieval banqueting hall with a hammer beam roof. Although subsequently plastered over, the original beams can still be seen through a hatched window in the upstairs school room. It was in this room that Sir Francis Chichester, of sailing fame, is reputed to have been taught as a boy, and local legend tells of his landing his light plane, the original ‘Gypsy Moth‘ in the park outside the front door.
In the late 18th century, the Grade II listed stables and the Grade II* entrance gate lodges were built; finally, the Grade II game larder was added in the early 19th century.